Mar 1, 2016

Tips to Keep Calm

I had jury duty a few weeks ago, and while it's usually not a big deal to most people, I definitely felt anxious leading up to it. Don't ask me why, I know it's not usually that bad, but it just stresses. Me. Out. Big time. I've been called 4 other times and stressed out each time!

Even though I was anxious about it, it was something I had to do, so it really didn't matter how I felt! But there were a few things here and there that helped calm the nerves.

Now, I am NOT a professional - these are just some things I do to help myself feel calm and in control when I'm a little overwhelmed, or if I know I have to do something I'm not looking forward to.

- Write Lists: To-Do lists, shopping lists, wish lists, reminder lists. Whatever. Just writing (and not typing into my phone - handwriting) everything on my mind really helps me feel in control (and happy when I get to use fun colored pens).


- Write: You don't have to write a list, you can write in a journal, or write a blog post. Sometimes writing your feelings, or even writing something you like to talk about (a recipe, a fun project, etc.) might help take your mind off the stressful things.

- Take it one step at a time: Seriously. If you write out a to-do list, prioritize it, and work on one thing at a time. Don't worry about #7 if you're still working on #3. Don't even look at it on your list until it's time to.

Photo from here
- Eat chocolate: Unless you can't. If you don't like it, or are allergic or something, please don't eat chocolate. Have a piece of licorice. Or a celery stick. Whatever you like. I know chocolate's not usually healthy, but sometimes, I've just gotta have some chocolate.

- Walk away: No, really. Take a break. If you've been staring at your computer screen for hours, get up and take a 10 minute walk - it's healthy, too! You could even go watch an episode of your favorite TV show (just one or two, though, or you'll be there all night!). Let your mind wander from whatever is causing you stress, even if it's just for a little while.

Take a Walk
Photo from here
- Talk it out with Mom: Or Dad. Sometimes you just need to vent to Mom or Dad. They make everything better.

Again, those are just some of the things I tend to do when I'm feeling overwhelmed or anxious, and I usually start to feel better, or at least more in control of the situation. I hope some of it helps you guys out, and I hope you guys are calm, cool, and collected!

My friend Jenny, at Dear Paradise, also has some great tips for when you're having a bad day - check them out here!

Let me know what you guys do when you're feeling a little stressed out - I'll take all the advice I can get!


♥Sara

Photos by Sara, unless otherwise noted.

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! I find that writing "lists" out definitely calm me and get me back into the control of things! Some other things I do to help me calm down is "breathe" and listen to music!

    ReplyDelete