Feb 6, 2016

Two Ingredient Banana Pancakes

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

You'd never know it by looking outside, but a couple of weeks ago, we had a blizzard. Two and a half feet of snow and horrible winds. It was nice while it was happening, and then, you know. The shoveling. Hours of shoveling. I stayed at my parents' house, so it was actually a really nice, relaxing weekend - except for the shoveling part...

But after a nice, extended weekend at home, it was time to head back to my place and back to work. Boo.

When I got back to my condo and cleaned the snow off my car and unpacked (which was really just throwing everything in a pile on the floor by the closet), I figured I should get something to eat. What to eat was the big question. Let's be real, I really hadn't gone to the grocery store for a couple of weeks - I was working a lot and why would I buy a bunch of food for a blizzard if I wasn't even going to be here? For some reason though, I remembered a recipe I saw on Pinterest that I thought was interesting, and what do you know? Out of the few things I had, I had almost rotting bananas and eggs. PERFECT.

I found this recipe from The Kitchn and had to try it out - I'd definitely recommend checking out their tips and tricks - you won't regret it! I'll just warn you now, my pancakes did NOT turn out too pretty. Actually, they were downright ugly. If you try this recipe, I'd recommend making smaller pancakes and using a thinner spatula to turn them.


What I used:
1 medium banana
2 eggs
1/8 tsp. baking powder (optional, but this makes the pancakes a little fluffier)
1/8 tsp. salt (optional)
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
Chocolate chips (optional)

What I did:
1. Mashed the banana with a fork. You'll want it as mashed as you can get it - no big lumps.

2. Add the eggs, baking powder, salt, and vanilla and mix until well combined. Obviously, the eggs are the only other main ingredient, so if you decide to go simple, skip the rest and just add the eggs and mix.
3. Heat your skillet or nonstick pan over medium heat and melt butter, or spray with nonstick spray.

4. When the skillet or pan is hot, spoon the pancake mix in and let it cook for about a minute.
5. Before flipping, add chocolate chips, nuts, or fruit if you'd like, and then flip! Just make sure the first side is golden brown and solid. Be sure to flip the pancake very carefully and slowly, unlike a regular pancake. I did not do this... so... obviously I had issues...

6. Cook for another minute or so until set and golden brown.

7. Top with syrup, honey, fruit - whatever you want! Also, please don't judge me for the next photo. I tried with these things, I really did...
So, overall, these weren't horrible, but they're definitely not like real pancakes. Not that they're really supposed to be. Like the post from The Kitchn and Sara from Our Best Bite said, these definitely taste like the middle of French toast. There was a major egg-y/French toast flavor, not that that's a bad thing. They're pretty good for what they are, and an awesome alternative to regular pancakes!

Let me know if you try these, or if you have any other really simple recipes! I'd love to check them out!

Until next time,

♥Sara

All photos by Sara, unless otherwise noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment