May 3, 2016

Grilled Cheese Roll Ups (FAIL Edition)

I have a confession to make...

I very often make things like crafts and new recipes that do NOT turn out how I planned, so I make due with what I have and get on with my life (I don't like wasting food and money, so I don't just throw stuff away unless I have to). But I don't ever share it or blog about it.

Until. Now.

I'm human, we all are, so it's not like I'm embarrassed by my mistakes, I just figured it's not very exciting sharing fails, but I think I was totally wrong.  I always enjoy and giggle at Pinterest fail sites I come across, so you could say this is kind of my Pinterest fail series.

You guys might have seen these before, I've seen them on Pinterest a lot. I was so excited to try them because 1. they were so cute, and 2. grilled cheese. Enough said.

So what you do is you cut the crusts off your bread, roll it up with some cheese, and put it in your buttered pan, just like a regular grilled cheese sandwich.
Well that all sounds fine and dandy, but mine wouldn't roll, didn't get crispy, and were really thick. 

Fail.
 I thought of a few things I probably should have done differently for this to work out a little better...

1. Use white bread. I used wheat bread, and while it kind of worked, I really think plain white bread would've worked better.
2. FLATTEN your bread! I flattened mine as much as I could before it instantly sprung back up, so it made it a lot harder to roll in the cheese. After a few rolls, I gave up and just worked with my half puffy bread anyway.
3. Use a soft cheese - sliced is probably best. I used some American cheese I got at the deli at my grocery store, and that worked well. American cheese is soft and flexible, unlike the sharp cheddar I also wanted to try... That didn't work at all, as you can see.
4. Butter that pan! I added what I thought was enough butter, only to have one side of the roll soak it all up, so that the other sides didn't cook evenly and get crispy. I added some more in between turning, but just not enough.
5. Try using tongs instead of a spatula. It's just easier.

If you try these at home, let me know how they turn out! I'm sure they'll turn out a lot better than mine because you guys are smart and patient, and not making these last minute when you're starving!

And if you have any fun Pinterest fails, feel free to share them! It happens to the best of us!

Until next time,
♥Sara

2 comments:

  1. I love how you were so brave to share your mistakes!
    Was it still yummy?!
    Maybe you could lather the roll i butter to help it become more crispy? I know when I make grilled cheese (regular style) I melt butter and basically paint both pieces of bread with the butter. It's not as healthy but so delicious!
    ~Jenny

    http://dearparadise.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no shame! I think Pinterest fails are hilarious, so why not share mine?! It was still yummy!

      That's a great idea, I definitely didn't add enough butter. I was trying not to, but I knew I wanted to. haha

      Delete